Wednesday, July 8, 2015

... And The Treatment Begins

Today, I had my first "POTS" appointment with a local doctor who specializes in POTS. So lucky to find a doctor that I do not have to explain Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia too. Aren't they doctors? Shouldn't they be able to figure it out!?

Anyway, the doctor talked to me about POTS and the treatment for over an hour. Not many doctors take that amount of interest in a any topic.  The doctor put me on a beta blocker, told me to get a Fitbit to monitor my heart rate, do recumbent exercises for 30 minutes a day/ 7 days a week, and drink 4 Liters of electrolyte filled fluids a day.  WOW! That is a lot of information. I am starting all of those things tomorrow and see my doctor in 2 weeks for a follow up!

ANOTHER DIAGNOSIS:

On another note, I was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS), which is hyper mobility.  They believe hyper mobility and Mono were the cause of my POTS.  Also, many people who have POTS grow out of it by the age of 21. However, people with EDS and POTS more often do not grow out of it.  With medications, exercise, and treatment I do believe my symptoms will get better. The POTS may not ever go away but they will disappear.

Here's some information on EDS:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ehlers-danlos-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20033656

3 comments:

  1. Good grief tori!! I do hope you can manage the symptoms and feel better ♡♡ if you need anything let us know...love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief tori!! I do hope you can manage the symptoms and feel better ♡♡ if you need anything let us know...love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does that include swimming? We are swimming at the Sports Mall (were Dougie played handball) twice a week at 7:45am. Let me know if you want to join!

    ReplyDelete